Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Spring 1991 - Vintage

From 1984-1990, I prided myself on having pretty cool new gear: My first synth was a Yamaha DX9, which was the nouveau of the nouveau (even if it sounded like a reedy kalimba with zero power... I ran that thing thing through a chorus, and then later a flanger just to get some meat on the sound...). From there, I was buying new gear at a healthy rate, but in a strange pocket: Never the best, never the worst: I was a straight up midrange playa. And even from the beginning, I had sequencers and drum machines rather than tape machines and good mixers. Somehow that whole "program it for live" thing was in my DNA from the very beginning.

If you were paying attention in the 1980s, the second half of the decade was a horrible one for synthesizers: Yes there were some great machines, but what we were losing were knobs and sliders: Synths were becoming pre-set machines that you could edit if you wanted to search through menus and squint at a 2x40 lcd. You sure as heck weren't going to whip up a new sound in the middle of a gig. I felt pretty strongly about this: I even wrote a letter to Keyboard Magazine that got printed, and it was "letter of the month" lamenting the lack of feel in the new synths...

It wasn't all bad - you had synths with 16 or 32 voices that sounded better than the Fairlights that made us all drool in 1984 - some even had the same waveforms, so you could sort of live your Fairlight dreams, just without the light pen. And I was buying these synths, selling them off after 9-12 months, and going for the next one. I kept Torps Music in Minneapolis going for a while... at least until one day when the keyboard salesguy hollered "hey, it's the money guy". I walked out and never returned.

Anyway, by 1990-1991, I was getting bored of the whole new-box-does-everything mode, and was looking for a thrill. At the time, I was writing a LOT of music, by the way - usually 1-2 new songs a week. The period from 1990-1992 was insanely fertile: over 200 songs. The point is, I was chewing through gear, but it was being USED - I can still listen to any track and tell you exactly what was making what sound. I loved my gear. BUT the state of new music gear in 1991 was pitiful: Roland was recycling the D50 sound engine yet again, Korg had new versions of the M1... Even yamaha with their commitment to strange sounds in FM was only releasing "sample player" instruments.

And sounds on the records... people weren't even trying anymore: they'd buy the new synth, dial up the presets, and record the song. So if you bought that new synth, you either had to use the same sounds (easy), or commit to programming your own signature sound... and did I mention that you'd be doing that with the small display, 4 buttons, 1 slider, and a single dial? Yeah, not very fun.

But in 1990/1991, something magical happened: People started selling off their old gear to get these new machines. Now I understand a guy who is in a YES cover band needing to have a synth that 1) he can carry, 2) stays in tune, and 3) is capable of sounding like more than the synth at the end of ELP "Lucky Man". These are working people, and they were making choices.

And in the process, they were selling the synthesizers that I dreamed about in the early 1980s. My first true vintage purchase was a Roland Jupiter 8. MINT condition. For two hundred dollars. It didn't have a midi interface (I added that myself for another $150), so I could see why the seller wanted to upgrade. But this synth.... it was incredible. This is the synth that percolated behind Duran Duran RIo. Most of Howard Jones "Human Lib" was on this synth. This is a desert island synth, sitting perfect in any mix.

My next purchase was a midi'ed LinnDrum. This classic drum machine from 1983 was limited from a 1991 perspective (16 sounds, as opposed to the 100 drum sounds in 8 meg of ROM in the new Roland R8), but this was the sound of almost every synthpop record from 1983-1986. The drums were in Heaven 17, Human League, even Dead or Alive. And it was covered in buttons and sliders - it was ridiculously easy to use, and it sounded great.

When I think of the gear I added in that 2 year period, it is almost insane, and yet my total outlay was under $3000, which was a lot less than the flagship Kurzweil K2000 supersynth was selling for. I added a Simmons SDS7 brain for $75, and a trigger-to-midi interface for another $50 (the thick Ksssshhhhh drum sounds of synthpop). I bought an Oberheim OBXa for $350 (The Time, Prince, Thompson Twins, and more).

Two treasures: A Rhodes Chroma for $200. This was the last ARP synth, and had a strange fragile sound - used as the lead synth on Rockit by Herbie Hancock, and also used by The Fixx. It wound up the lead on a lot of my tracks. And a MemoryMoog for $550, once owned by local rock legends The Suburbs (I saw that synth on stage many times) - I named it "Dr Voltage" for its huge sound... but truth be told it was insanely unstable and couldn't be relied upon to sound the same from hour to hour... I used the Doctor very sparingly in my compositions.

There were things I passed up. I didn't buy the Oberheim 4 Voice for $300, because it was too huge. I didn't buy any of the minimoogs because they didn't have MIDI, and I wanted/needed to be able to sequence these things (remember - I was a trigger-it-live guy, not a tape guy.) I never bought a TB303 Bassline - even with the acid factor, it just sounded wonky.

So my studio by late 1991 was a full half of the bedroom, creeping toward the ceiling on some seriously overloaded Ultimate Support stands. And I sat there with my Mac SE (still!) running Performer (Still!) running all of these synths into a cheap Tascam line mixer (though the noisier ones got routed through a noise gate), and printing my compositions directly to DAT - never printing the individual tracks.

I'd leave the gear up and on until the song was done. I'd set the verse up on a loop, and bring in synths, twirling the knobs and setting the sliders to find the perfect sound... it was very "of the moment" and I never saved the sounds back - that sound was for that song, and that was it. Print it, move on.

I had no shortage of musical ideas - they were flying out of my head faster than I could keep up anyway, so I never really thought about posterity or replications... I was thinking that if I ever really needed to do a song again, I'd probably do it BETTER then next time. That's what I told myself, but in truth, the few times I did try to do a remake, the sound was different enough that I considered it a new song entirely....

There were a few more treasures that made their way into the studio in 1992, but that will be another post. But Spring 1991, the arrival of the vintage... it was an amazing time, and I made some great music with those machines. What happened to them? Yeah, that's another post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment