Thursday, September 10, 2009

Winter 1989 - Performing Live

In 1984-85, I played keyboards in a live band. By 1986-87, I started doing studio work, which de-emphasized the live playing element. My revelatory moment was in the summer of 1987 when I worked with my friend Al in his 8-track basement studio: The two of us were sequencing synths using MOTU Performer, and laying down tracks to SMPTE Time Code. I was stacking 3-4 synths on a line, and it was amazing. We actually sounded a bit like Stock Aiken Waterman with our song "DYMF".

I bought my own copy of Performer, got a Midi Time Piece, and hooked it up via Serial Port to my Mac SE (not SE/30, just SE). This was my workhorse computer: My Mac256 made it through freshman year, but by the end of that year, the amount of disk switching necessary to finish a 20 page paper was intolerable. I started sophomore year in 1987 with a Mac SE, with the whopping 20 meg hard drive. This became my music machine.

I bought Performer AND Composer, which was the MOTU Notation software, which I used in my music theory classes to notate my assignments, which would have gobsmacked and amazed my teacher, if only he hadn't introduced me to Composer in the first place. We were geeks together, Carleton Macy and I, swapping Mac tips. But that's not this story.

By my Senior year 1989-1990, my Mac SE had been upgraded to 4 whole megs of RAM, and a 170 MEG hard drive. My home studio had grown to include a sampler (Akai S950), a good synth or two (Roland Juno 106, Roland JX8P, Yamaha TX81Z, and the cream of the crop, the Roland D50 Synth), plus two drum machines - a Yamaha RX5 and an Alesis HR16B. I had a 4 track, but I was proud of the fact that with this setup I could actually run everything LIVE from my sequencer. Somehow this seemed very important, that the sounds be triggered "live" by the computer.

It was all the more important to me because my friend and rival Paul Sebastien had brazenly made the switch to the Tape Show when performing Live. Paul, like me, was a great arranger and studio nerd, but unlike me, he was also a fan of printing things to tape and moving on. His studio was always cleaner than mine - just 1-2 good synths, with a good mixing board and tape machine. He multitracked, he bounced, he acted like a real studio guy. And by 1989 he had arranged with some friends to create a "scene" - his friends opened an 18-up club above another nightclub, and Paul ran the house band, called "Smilehouse".

Smilehouse had a great sound, lots of production gloss, and a full lineup of smiling musicians, all of whom (save Paul) were faking their instruments while Paul's beautiful mix was playing on a tape deck back at the sound board.

I'm going to level with you: given the rear view mirror of 20 years, I can't imagine what the difference would be between a guy pressing play on a tape, versus pressing play on a sequencer which was then triggering the synths. But it meant something to me.

So my response was a fake band called "The Acid Police" and there was a prank involved that I'll go into at a different time, but it was a joke that grew into an actual semi-popular band at my college. We got gigs, we sold tapes, we had fans. And when we performed, we performed "live".

And by live I mean: Keyboard stack in front with the Juno and D50 on it. Keyboard stand on the right (my left) with two slabs of wood on it: On the lower slab was the two drum machines and the keyboard and mouse. On the upper slab was a rack case with the mixer, TX81Z, and Roland Delay, next to a second rack case with the sampler and on top of it all was perched my Mac SE. So between songs, I switched floppies, loaded songs, opened files, switched presets, and updated the mix.

Though I wasn't "Playing", I sure as hell was BUSY up there. I also usually left myself at least one line to actually PLAY on stage as well, while Mike and Erik ran around. Oh, Erik was my Andy Fletcher - he had a non-plugged in Keyboard (the JX) and faked, because he was actually just my roommate. Mike Mattison, now of Scrapomatic and the Derek Trucks Band was my amazing singer.

But as we played, I was always up on a riser, with my gear... and as I danced, the riser would rock, and the equipment rack would sway back and forth, the top arc over a foot of travel. I'd have to stop and grab my computer several times per song. Plus there were always mix issues, so I worked that mixer a lot.... and more than once the wrong patches were loaded, leading to a song restart... and about half of the stage banter was "is it done loading yet, Jim?"

Setup and breakdown was always horrible - because I had to make sure everything was plugged in properly, all midi cables were routed properly, all power was good, no ground loops.... Plus, that stuff was HEAVY.

We did I think 4 gigs like this, before I started to realize that in the final analysis, both the Acid Police and Smilehouse were sending a single stereo signal to the PA system. But Paul got to relax and i sweat bullets with every show.

In winter 1989, I got a DAT recorder... at first to capture my compositions... but by Winter of 1990, I was starting to use that DAT.... for playback. Yes, I started doing Tape Shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment